Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Alaska to Missoula and back again

This coming September marks my 10 year anniversary in Alaska. For those who don't know my story I moved to Alaska straight out of high shchool and attended Alaska Pacific University, and majored in outdoor studies. I now work as a ski patroller in the winters, build trails in the summers, and spend a whole lot of time and money taking photos. My camera has traveled with me across the Chugach, Talkeetnas, Alaska Range and the Brookes Range, all on foot, skis or mnt bike. I feel fortunate to have found a home in the most scenic state in all of the US.

Last summer I left Alaska for three months and lived in Missoula and attended the Rocky Mountain School of photography. It was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life and Missoula is a pretty inspiring place. I am in the process of creating my own freelance photography business, but business and marketing as many of you well know isn't my forte. I hope to have a professional website up by this fall, and if I don't please harass me because I seem to perform best under pressure. Unfortunately web design isn't in my skill set yet, so money is probably my main obstacle.

Upon my return to Alaska I shot the three pictures above all in the Talkeetna Mountains located north of Anchorage, but south of The Alaska Range. The two musicians were playing at a wedding in Palmer last August. The scenic and the caribou antlers were shot during a 23 day expedition with students from Alaska Pacific University. I had opportunity to be an assistant instructor for a course called Expedition Leadership where students from the outdoor Studies program are practices leadership and wilderness skills deep in the mountains of Alaska. I can't wait to do it again in September.

No comments: