Monday, August 11, 2008

Flight Seeing, Neacola Mnts


Ryan, a dear friend from Girdwood flew Weston and myself around the Neacola Mtns. just west of Anchorage across Cook Inlet, in the southwestern portion of the Alaska Range. The weather was beautiful. I used my wide angle lens to shoot this picture just before take off. The wide angle gives almost 180* view and makes the cabin of this plane look much larger than it is.

Approaching the Neacola Mtns.

I believe this is the Capps Glacier, on the northeastern side of Mt. Spurr

A closer look at a crevasse field on the Capps Glacier

View of the foothills of Mt. Spurr

The clouds were capped over Mt. Spurr, but we flew around its southern base. The light was amazing through this small rain shower. A ridge leading up to the top of Mt Spur on the right.

Ryan circled around to put the plane between the sun and the rain to create this optical affect, a rainbow.

Ryan, our pilot and navigator.

Braided river drainage of the Chakachatna River

This is where I start to go a little abstract with my nature pictures. Bradford Washburn is one of my favorite photographers and explorers. His Black and White images of Alaska in the mid 20th century have had a huge influence on a portion of my photography. I love his ability to find patterns within natures' chaotic spread, and produce such artistic compositions. This is one of my attempts to do the same, but with color digital. Just like Washburn manipulated his images in the darkroom I have done the same, but using Adobe Lightroom instead.

A view of the Susitna Flats State Game Refuge. I love the contrast between the red building and the green wetlands. I am unsure of what these cabins are used for, but was amazed by their existence in what looks like a very large bog.

Water erosion in the mud flats near the estuary of the Susitna River.

A view of downtown Anchorage

1 comment:

Crowleigh said...

Great photos, and a very enjoyable blog.